A Lifetime of Dedication to the Culinary Arts
Starting in his mother’s kitchen and continuing on to some of the world’s most acclaimed restaurants, Chef Matthew Karp has dedicated most of his life to food. With his nose always in a cookbook and his hands elbow deep in flour, it has always been about “the next meal”. PLATES is the culmination of his training thus far, but only the beginning of what he wants to say.
He has looped from Scarsdale cooking as a kid, to the China Institute at 14 for Peking Duck lessons, on to internships in Manhattan Restaurants, and refining with a Masters in Culinary Arts from the Cordon Bleu in Paris. He has worked for Star Chefs and learned from Italian grandmothers. He has stretched the mozzarella on the Amalfi Coast and picked the vineyards in France. He is impassioned by the authentic and inspired by the dedicated. Ultimately, he seeks to put good food on a plate, whether simple or elaborate, and loves it when those at the table enjoy.
He has brought together a talented team of like minded “foodies”, and looks forward to the group effort yielding memorable dining experiences for friends and visitors to PLATES.
- Bouley, NY, NY
- Restaurant Daniel, NY, NY
- Ristorante Sadler, Milan, Italy
- Park Avenue Cafe, New York, N.Y.
- Nick and Eddie Restaurant, New York, N.Y.
- Television Food Network, New York, N.Y.
Stages in Europe
- Le Moulin de Mougins Restaurant – Roger Vergé, (France) 2 Michelin Stars
- Restaurant du Marc Veyrat – L’Auberge de L’Eridan (France) 3 Michelin Stars
- Ristorante Gualtiero Marchesi – L’Albereta (Italy) 3 Michelin Stars
- Aubergine Restaurant – Chef Gordon Ramsey (London) 3 Michelin Stars
- Antica Osteria della Ponte – Milan (Italy) 3 Michelin Stars
- L’Affriolè – Paris Bistro, Chef Alain Attibard (France)
- Le Cordon Bleu, Paris, France
- Masters Degree in Culinary Arts in cuisine and pastry
- Culinary Institute for Foreigners – Barolo, Italy
- Scholarship program in Italian Cuisine
- China Institute, New York, N.Y.
- Courses in traditional Cantonese Cuisine, Dim Sum preparation and Peking Duck
PLATES Turns 10!
Chef Karp speaks about turning 10 and what living in Larchmont means to him, his family and his restaurant.